Cochlear Implants Standards of Care:
An International Consensus
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2020
Time: 2 p.m. (ET), 1 p.m. (CT), 12 p.m. (MT), 11 a.m. (PT)
Craig A. Buchman, M.D.
• Lindburg Professor and Head, Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
René H. Gifford, Ph.D.
• Professor, Department of Hearing and Speech Sciences, with a joint appointment in the Department of Otolaryngology
The world’s first International Consensus Paper on Adult Cochlear Implantation was published on August 27, 2020 in JAMA Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery. This new study focuses on treatment for adults living with severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) which recommends minimum standards for diagnosis, referral, treatment, and aftercare.
Dr. Craig Buchman, lead author of the paper, and Dr. René Gifford, one of 31 experts who authored the paper and participated in the Delphi Consensus Process, will talk about why these standards of care are needed at this time and what they mean to people with hearing loss.
Plan to join us on Tuesday, September 29 at 2 p.m., ET for a special free and captioned presentation and discussion with Craig A. Buchman, M.D., and René H. Gifford, Ph.D.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Helpful Hints and Tutorials
- Zoom concerns have been addressed and procedures will be modified as Zoom continues to update their software. The main security issue was with open meetings. When you register, it creates a unique link for a password protected session.
- Use a computer. If possible, attend the meeting on a computer rather than via a smart phone or iPad. This will give you the best layout to view the captions as well as other meeting features.
- Captions. This meeting will be open captioned. Captions will be visible at the bottom of your Zoom meeting screen. Closed captions will not need to be enabled.
- Check your time zone. This meeting will take place live at 2 p.m. ET, 1 p.m. CT, 12 p.m. MT and 11 a.m. PT. If you are in a different time zone, please adjust the time so you do not miss the meeting.
NOTE: HLAA does not offer Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for participation in our webinars.