Important steps as you shop for an OTC hearing aid
Look for “OTC” on the label
- This new class of products must adhere to new FDA standards.
Make sure there’s a money back return policy
- It can take 3-4 weeks to adjust to a hearing aid in various settings, to determine if it will work for you.
Understand the product’s capability and functionality
- Is it likely to help with the common situations where I have trouble hearing?
- Is the battery rechargeable, and how long will it last?
- Does it have Bluetooth or Telecoil connectivity?
Know what equipment is needed to operate or adjust the product
- Is a smartphone or computer needed, and am I comfortable doing that?
Make sure the hearing aid fits comfortably in your ear
- It shouldn’t cause pain, or fall out of your ear.
You’re not alone!
Millions of people have hearing loss, and you’re taking an important step to treat it. You may need to try multiple products to fit your individual needs — don’t give up! If necessary, seek the help of an audiologist or hearing care professional who can advise you.