The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization representing people with hearing loss. HLAA opens the world of communication to people with hearing loss through information, education, support and advocacy. With more than 48 million Americans living with hearing loss, we work nationally and in local communities to provide vital assistance and resources to help people with hearing loss and their families live better lives.
The Hearing Loss Association of America is seeking a Communications Associate to help develop and implement communications strategies. The position, based in our Bethesda, Maryland, headquarters, is responsible for creating communications strategies that will increase the visibility of HLAA and help forward its mission. This position will coordinate the full array of communications tools and tactics. As a key member of the team, this position will work closely with senior staff and colleagues to ensure a consistent message and an integrated communications effort.
The Communications Associate will:
- Develop and execute a communications plan to support overarching communications objectives.
- Produce and edit high-quality content to publicize HLAA’s work through a range of digital and print media, including emails, letters, media alerts, website information, reports, print collateral, presentation materials, blogs, newsletters, social media campaigns, articles, press releases, etc.
- Support the Walk4Hearing awareness program in crafting and delivering communications messages both in print and digital format.
- Work with all departments to generate content, media releases, etc.
- Work with vendors and authors and contribute to editing of our Hearing Life magazine and online Hearing Life e-News.
- Draft and update content for HLAA’s website, working with colleagues to update content and generate new content.
- Manage promotion of HLAA’s nonprofit and corporate partners through sharing content and announcements.
- Develop and maintain a master editorial calendar of all communication activities, owners and contributors.
- Coordinate webinars.
- Ensure brand consistency with design, functionality and messaging in all collateral, including print and digital media.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3-5 years of communications, marketing or digital experience.
- Demonstrated experience with a broad range of communication mediums, including social media, digital communications, printed materials, basic web editing software, and familiarity with email and social media management systems.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional communication skills, written, verbal, and copyrighting, with the ability to tailor communications to different audiences.
- Strong attention to detail while being able to think strategically and understand the larger vision.
- Strong project management skills with ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple initiatives.
- Working knowledge of social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Sprout Social, and Google Ads.
- Skilled in MS Office, and fundamental knowledge of website CMS systems (e.g., WordPress).
- Ability to effectively communicate the impact of the HLAA mission.
- Excellent judgment and initiative; enthusiastic and entrepreneurial.
- Active listener, with an ability to synthesize information and translate into strategy or action plans.
- A team mentality with a desire for the success of colleagues.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter with salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Associate” in the subject line.
Applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted.
HLAA values diversity of background and opinion and promotes a professional environment that is accessible and inclusive. HLAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other category protected by law.