The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization representing people with hearing loss. HLAA opens the world of communication to people with hearing loss through information, education, support and advocacy. With more than 48 million Americans living with hearing loss, we work nationally and in local communities to provide vital assistance and resources to help people with hearing loss and their families live better lives.
This position is responsible for supporting public engagement, communications and program-related projects across HLAA. This position is integral to executing HLAA’s communications and social media strategy, fine tuning its voice, raising visibility, and clearly articulating messaging to internal and external constituencies. This position will manage projects, including media outreach, digital and social media, editorial and collateral materials, multimedia, etc. Primary goals include growing social networks to reach more people and mobilizing constituents to take action on hearing health and hearing loss.
The Digital Communications Associate will monitor and update content for HLAA’s website and social media and develop content for marketing email blasts. He or she will segment, import email blast distribution lists and complete digital research and analytics.
HLAA will have a new website in the next year, so this is an exciting time to join our team! The position reports to the Director of Communications and works closely with the Digital Communication and Web Specialist and a graphic designer.
- Support the Digital Communication and Web Specialist with updates to HLAA’s website, hearingloss.org through the WordPress platform, focusing on the HLAA information and resources content web pages and the HLAA blog.
- Support the implementation of communications activities for HLAA, including press outreach, website content, social media, editorial and collateral materials, multimedia, etc.
- Draft and publish social media posts to HLAA’s social media channels independently, or through the use of Hootsuite. Collaborate with the Director of Communications on the social media calendar to include regular/daily posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. Drive HLAA’s social media accounts to engage and grow our online community.
- Create, edit, post and boost timely and engaging content to all social media and digital channels including the website, blogs, social media platforms and micro-sites that meet high standards of editorial quality, relevance, readability, and accuracy.
- Manage HLAA’s image library.
- Draft editorial and graphic content for the Hearing Life e-News and other reports. Subscribe to “hearing help” and other relevant alerts to contribute news articles to the e-News and social media.
- Pull and monitor website, marketing email blast and social media analytics for weekly and quarterly reports using Google Analytics, GetResponse (email blast client reporting), and Hootsuite. Support the Digital Communication Specialist with A/B testing on email blasts.
- Segment and import HLAA marketing email blast distribution lists into GetResponse. Work across HLAA teams to update HLAA email blast subscriptions lists.
- Build marketing email blasts in GetResponse in collaboration with the Digital Communication and Web Specialist.
- Provide general administrative and technical support as assigned by the Director of Communications.
- Collaborate effectively with Communications colleagues and across the organization.
Education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Administration, Business Administration, or a closely related field.
- Innovative thinker with a minimum of 3 years of communications, public relations or media relations or equivalent field.
- Must possess a solid understanding of the social media universe including, but not limited to: YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, forums, wikis and blogs.
- Demonstrated ability in synthesizing high-level social media strategy, issuing campaigns and newly emerging technology into a compelling narrative for different audiences.
- Experience with content creation on digital and social platforms.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and experience using Content Management Systems to post content online through WordPress, as well as best practices in social media. Experience working on and supporting work connected to marketing email blasts. Expert knowledge of social media platforms.
- Exceptional copywriting and editing, analytical, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills. Knowledge of Associated Press (AP) style is a plus.
- Proficiency in data imports and exports to pull reports using a database and/or Google Analytics.
- Strong customer service orientation, preferably in a nonprofit or association setting.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, be proactive, take initiative, problem-solve, follow-through, and manage multiple priorities.
- Comfortable working in a team where attitude and work ethic matters.
- Office 365 proficiency; Excel, Word, Teams, Outlook, etc.
- Experience working with the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop) is a plus.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work might require occasional weekend and/or evening work. Travel to HLAA’s annual convention in June is required. Please note that all HLAA staff are currently working remotely four days per week and in the office in Rockville, Maryland one day per week during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Send a cover letter (including salary requirement), résumé and three writing samples to email@example.com with “Digital Communications Associate” in the subject line by October 31, 2021. No phone calls please.
HLAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to an equitable and inclusive workplace.