The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization representing people with hearing loss. HLAA opens the world of communication to people with hearing loss through information, education, support and advocacy. With more than 48 million Americans living with hearing loss, we work nationally and in local communities to provide vital assistance and resources to help people with hearing loss and their families live better lives.
The Director of Strategic Communications is a dynamic, hands-on professional who independently executes tasks and solves unique challenges. This position is responsible for Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) communication strategies that will increase the visibility and brand of HLAA to help elevate and drive the mission. The Director will oversee change management and engagement efforts across the organization while also leading the implementation of communications strategy across HLAA. He or she will be responsible for developing an innovative, multichannel communications strategy that leverages different platforms and media to distribute impactful stories to target audiences. This role will work with a wide variety of internal and external resources and stakeholders to deliver on goals and objectives.
This position will leverage their experience in communications, branding, public and media relations across the entire HLAA portfolio and will work to enhance and grow the vision, strategy, direction, and execution of all HLAA endeavors, overseeing the execution with a small team. As a key member of the senior management team, the Director of Strategic Communications will report and serve as a trusted advisor and consultant to the Executive Director and work closely with the senior staff and other members of the organization to ensure an integrated team effort on all communications, development and programmatic initiatives that elevate HLAA and its mission.
The Director of Strategic Communications is based in our Rockville, MD headquarters and reports to the Executive Director.
Education & Training
Education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Administration, Business Administration, or a closely related field.
- Minimum 9-12 years of experience in marketing, communications, or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit or association sector.
- Experience leading the creation and execution of comprehensive and strategic communications plans.
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, executive speeches, and correspondence, making presentations and negotiating with media.
- Excellent communication skills–both written and oral, ability to translate scientific content to lay understanding a plus.
- Knowledge of the latest advances in effective use of digital and social media including online communities, search engine optimization and other digital marketing tools
- Experience with budgeting, strategic planning, organizational development, and cost control, a plus.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High-level strategic leader that will bring a thorough knowledge of communications, digital strategy development and innovative implementation to the organization.
- Strong project management skills, ability to juggle multiple tasks (manage multiple priorities within demanding time frames) and think both big picture and be “hands-on” and dive into the details.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Familiarity of current culture and industry trends with solid digital know-how across multimedia campaigns.
- Strong analytical, planning, forecasting, and budgeting/financial skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate the mission of the organization and articulate the impact of HLAA’s mission.
- Highly skilled in MS Office and other computer applications including word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet software.
- Superior written and oral communication skills, including the ability to make articulate presentations to individuals and groups, and the ability to write effectively and persuasively.
- Excellent judgment and initiative; enthusiastic and entrepreneurial.
- Active listener, with an ability to synthesize information and translate into strategy or action plans.
- Outstanding ability to thrive under pressure and effectively manage multiple responsibilities.
- Experience managing up and laterally to accomplish goals.
- Possess compassion, creativity and integrity coupled with an ability to earn the confidence of a wide range of internal and external constituents.
- Successful experience working with staff, affiliates, and volunteers to ensure an integrated, organized effort, as well as goal-oriented accomplishments.
- A team mentality and an interest in the success of colleagues.
- Develop, drive and lead a multi-year, enterprise-wide strategy for communications that is aligned with HLAA’s culture and values, reinforces the brand, and provides a cadence of clear, timely, effective communications that is aligned with business goals.
- Lead and manage the on-going execution of the strategic plan while continuously responding to new communications challenges and opportunities.
- Work with leadership to set the vision for the communications and engagement strategy for the organization and provide creative leadership that drives the organization’s overall brand awareness per the strategic plan.
- Identify opinion leaders, change agents and lead organizations in the hearing field and develop strong collaborations.
- Serve as a counsel on all communication and engagement needs, including national media, crisis prevention, crisis response and strategic positioning.
- Ensure consistent articulation of the organization’s desired image and messages throughout HLAA and all its stakeholders increasing its visibility in a manner that raises its fundraising potential.
- Develop integrated communications and engagement plans, project plans, strategies, analytics, metrics, reporting, budgeting, and workflow management systems that drive the brand awareness of HLAA while protecting and stewarding the HLAA brand and mission.
- Develop and manage innovative, effective, and ongoing digital plans and messaging across all channels and continually update strategy based on emerging trends and opportunities.
- Lead and drive the strategy for HLAA’s website and assets along with enhanced engagement and promotion for current and future websites and content.
- Manage and build a high performing team with individual performance goals and metrics, encourage through personal example and positive motivation.
- Synthesize and analyze data from various sources to inform enhancements of HLAA communications and programming.
- Grow awareness of HLAA’s brand to reinforce HLAA values among reporters and media outlets.
- Continually identify, test and scale new communications and stakeholder engagement channels and ideas that drive meaningful progress toward key metrics and goals.
- Establish a system of reports and communications for continuous performance improvement and increased impact.
- Partner with colleagues across the organization to develop and deliver cohesive campaigns including advertising, events, digital and print.
- Deliver appropriate communications materials for executive-level reporting, updates to stakeholder community, and the public, as needed.
- Lead and mentor a high-impact team of communications professionals.
Status and Benefits
Supervisor: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Terms of Employment: At Will
Employment Status: Full-Time
Location: Rockville, MD (North Bethesda)
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision and Life, 403(b), PTO, Sick Leave, Paid Holidays and more
Comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b), paid holidays, vacation, sick, and flexible work schedule.
Other: HLAA will require employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, provide attestations regarding vaccination status and/or COVID-19 testing, or satisfy other conditions of employment that HLAA deems appropriate, and employees may be required to show proof of vaccination and/or negative COVID-19 test results as a condition of employment (except in limited circumstances where an employee is legally entitled to an accommodation).
All interested applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter including salary requirement and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Strategic Communications” in the subject line. Due to the large interest in working with HLAA, we are not able to take phone calls or personally respond to emails. Potential candidates for open positions will be invited for an interview.
HLAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. HLAA is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. HLAA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.