The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) opens the world of communication to people with hearing loss through information, education, support and advocacy. More than 48 million Americans have hearing loss, and this number is projected to grow rapidly in the coming years. HLAA empowers Americans to prioritize hearing health, fights for greater hearing healthcare and communication access, and provides resources and a community of support for people with hearing loss.
HLAA is the leading voice of the growing number of Americans with hearing loss, and our communication efforts are key, as hearing health is in the national spotlight with several major developments, including the over-the-counter hearing aid market opening in October.
HLAA is seeking a creative, energetic and self-starting Communications Specialist to join our team, based in our Rockville, MD headquarters, at an exciting time as HLAA expands its influence and grows its audience.
This position will report to the Director of Strategic Communications, and will execute a variety of communication projects and initiatives on behalf of the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA), with the overall goal of increasing the visibility and brand of HLAA, and further its mission as the leading voice of the growing number of Americans with hearing loss.
The Communications Specialist will join a fast-paced team responsible for communicating HLAA’s important impact and mission to key stakeholders including national and local media outlets, members, partners, chapters, donors, and all Americans.
Digital media expertise, press release and other writing, and media pitching experience required. Ability to balance multiple projects, collaborate well with various team members and lead projects/initiatives as needed. Must have superior organizational skills and familiarity with Microsoft 365 tools, knowledge of AP style a must, and demonstrated writing and editing skills. Exposure to content management systems (CMS) such as WordPress a plus. Hootsuite or other social platform experience, newswire and media database experience, are also pluses.
Ability to multi-task and work across departments for the good of the HLAA mission is necessary as our small staff wears many hats, as we work to improve the lives of millions of people with hearing loss.
Familiarity in the disability and/or nonprofit space, and knowledge or experience with hearing loss/hearing health are pluses.
The position is based in our Rockville, Maryland headquarters.
Communications Specialist duties include:
- Researching and writing creative stories for various platforms including website, e-news, blogs, magazine, etc.
- Managing content calendar and contributing to story ideas/angles
- Writing press releases, media alerts
- Coordinating various communication projects including digital and print publications
- Editing copy for clarity, continuity, best practices, and AP style.
- Assisting with print magazine publication editing, layout and design
- Social media writing and posting
- Pitching media, handling media follow up and pulling clips
- Managing sponsor communication benefits
- Managing various outreach to stakeholders including email blasts
- Spearheading various communications projects and keeping tasks organized and reported to director and other staff
- Minor website content editing
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications, or related field
- 3-5 years of related experience in public relations, journalism, communications, or related field
- Demonstrated writing and editing experience, including press releases, and stories for various platforms including digital, familiarity with AP style and clear, concise content writing
- Familiar with communication strategy, best practices, and applying metrics to measure success
- Media pitching experience
- Demonstrated effective implementation of creative digital and social media strategy
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong written and oral communications including ability to boil down complex topics quickly
- Superior project management skills, ability to juggle multiple tasks and stay organized and on schedule
- Excellent professional judgment in multitude of situations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and be the ultimate team player
- Familiarity with writing and optimization for web and multi-platform communication content
- Familiarity with Microsoft 365 including Word, Excel, Teams
- Exposure to content management system (CMS) such as WordPress
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Communications Specialist in the subject line.
Applications will not be considered complete without these materials. Viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted and invited to interview and may be asked to submit writing samples and take a writing test.
Status and Benefits:
Supervisor: Director of Strategic Communications
Terms of Employment: At Will
Employment Status: Full-Time/Exempt
Location: Rockville, MD (North Bethesda) with some travel required
Benefits: Comprehensive package includes employer-paid health, dental and vision insurance, TIAA 403(b) retirement plan, paid holidays, vacation, sick and flexible work schedule.
Other: HLAA requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, provide attestations regarding vaccination status and/or COVID-19 testing, or satisfy other conditions of employment that HLAA deems appropriate, and employees may be required to show proof of vaccination and/or negative COVID-19 test results as a condition of employment (except in limited circumstances where an employee is legally entitled to an accommodation).
HLAA values diversity of background and opinion and promotes a professional environment that is accessible and inclusive. HLAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other category protected by law.