The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization representing people with hearing loss. HLAA opens the world of communication to people with hearing loss through information, education, support and advocacy. With more than 48 million Americans living with hearing loss and these numbers growing rapidly, we work nationally and in local communities to promote hearing health and provide vital assistance and resources to help people with hearing loss and their families to live better lives.
The Development and Engagement Manager is a unique opportunity for a mission-driven individual to be part of a growing fundraising team. The Manager is responsible for engaging supporters who are inspired to invest in HLAA’s mission and impact. This position will develop and implement annual fundraising appeals, donor cultivation and stewardship strategies, and create and execute events and activities that foster ongoing engagement.
This position reports to the Director of Development and is a key relationship manager. This person will ensure the timely implementation of donor touchpoints, with focus on engaging and growing annual donors, monthly donors, and online giving, and providing strategic support to the Development Director on additional priorities.
The Development and Engagement Manager will:
Development and fundraising:
- Work with the Development Director to identify goals, develop strategies and a fundraising plan for individual annual giving.
- Set annual fundraising targets and budget, monitor and work to meet and exceed goals.
- Maintain a portfolio of mid-level prospects and include tasks related to identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewardship of these annual donors.
- Create and implement campaigns and appeals, including digital fundraising, monthly giving, year-end push and Giving Tuesday.
- Track outreach and relevant activities in Raiser’s Edge NXT.
- Work with the Development Director to continue building HLAA’s culture of philanthropy among staff, volunteers and leadership and provide support to the Board’s fundraising efforts as needed.
- Support the Director of Development and coordinate with staff to assist in preparing grant proposals and major gift requests, as needed.
Building and strengthening engagement:
- Identify and implement ways to increase donor retention and monitor and report progress.
- Manage annual giving stewardship program to ensure all donors are timely and properly acknowledged, recognized and invited to engage around HLAA programs most valued.
- Identify and implement donor events, recruit donors for volunteer opportunities, and support the work of fundraising committees.
- Identify and evaluate donors with the capacity and inclination to increase their giving.
Communications and marketing:
- Contribute to planned giving, implementing communications and other strategies to explain and invite donors to consider making bequests.
- In collaboration with communications staff, help build strong tools for donor engagement using the website, social media, e-newsletter, magazine and other methods.
- Consistently identify powerful donor stories and incorporate donor-centered language.
- Collaborate with communications staff to keep published HLAA charity ratings current.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field, or the equivalent education and experience.
- 4-5 years fundraising experience with ability to maintain, sustain and grow giving.
- Commitment to the donor experience, bringing a donor centered approach to efforts.
- Experience working with vendors, ensuring timely execution of project deliverables.
- Excellent project management skills, including taking projects from idea to implementation, and ensuring efficiency in procedures and in meeting timelines.
- Enjoy problem-solving with an acumen for data analysis and information sharing.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated track record of successful fundraising and marketing activities, with knowledge of the principles of fundraising.
- Experience implementing annual fundraising campaigns preferred.
- Experience using donor and relationship management software preferred.
- Detail-oriented and able to work independently in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication.
- Proficient in Microsoft 365 tools including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Teams.
- Enthusiastic and creative, with excellent judgment and initiative.
- Acts as a team member who emphasizes HLAA’s success in helping those with hearing loss and demonstrates care and interest in the success of colleagues.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work might require occasional weekend and/or evening work. Travel to HLAA annual Convention is required.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants should submit a résumé and cover letter with salary range requirements to email@example.com with “Development and Engagement Manager” in the subject line. Potential candidates will be invited for an interview.
North Bethesda (Rockville), Maryland (flexible, hybrid work)
HLAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. HLAA is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. HLAA does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.