The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization representing people with hearing loss. HLAA opens the world of communication to people with hearing loss through information, education, support and advocacy. With more than 48 million Americans living with hearing loss and these numbers growing rapidly, we work nationally and in local communities to promote hearing health and provide vital assistance and resources to help people with hearing loss and their families live better lives.
The Development Associate provides vital administrative, fundraising and communications support for the Development department and Walk4Hearing program, the organization’s grassroots fundraising and awareness campaign. The Associate is an organized, creative and detail-oriented individual with an interest in building and cultivating donor engagement, communicating with donors and being a part of a growing development team. This is a terrific opportunity to be part of a mission-driven organization and to explore all parts of a nonprofit fundraising program.
The Development Associate will report to the Director of Development and work closely with Walk4Hearing and Development Managers:
- Help HLAA grow its community of supporters through fundraising, engagement, stewardship and events.
- Provide support for the full range of fundraising activities including stewarding and engaging donors, campaigns and solicitation, and board and volunteer activities.
- Format and implement Walk events through the peer-to-peer platform (DonorDrive) to help enlist fundraisers and team captains.
- Develop donor-centered content and materials, and support digital campaigns, updating webpages, preparing e-messages and graphics and posting on social media.
- Fulfill campaigns including appeals, acknowledgments, toolkits and incentives.
- Prepare gift acknowledgment letters and assist with gift processing and event registrations.
- Confirm and track employer matching gifts and company donations and allocate as appropriate.
- Support events including logistical arrangements, response tracking, ordering and distribution of promotional items.
- Communicate with and respond to inquiries from donors and volunteers.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or associate degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- At least one year of experience in development or nonprofit administration.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional communication and relationship-building skills.
- Passion to learn and to adapt to online platforms and data systems.
- Team oriented, ability to handle multiple projects and problem solve.
- Proficient in Microsoft 365 tools including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Teams.
- Knowledge of social media and CANVA is a plus.
- Knowledge of CRM systems and fundraising platforms (Raiser’s Edge NXT and DonorDrive) is a plus.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment, and work might require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
How to Apply
All interested applicants should submit a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Associate” in the subject line. Potential candidates for open positions will be invited for an interview.
North Bethesda (Rockville), Maryland (flexible, hybrid work)
HLAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. HLAA is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. HLAA does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.