STEP UP for People with Hearing Loss!
The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) Walk4Hearing is the largest walk for hearing loss awareness in the country. Every spring and fall thousands of walkers - children and their families, young adults, young at heart, and everyone in between - form teams and walk in their communities to increase public awareness about hearing loss, help eradicate the stigma associated with it and raise funds for programs and services. HLAA depends on generous volunteers to raise funds, generate enthusiasm and awareness at each of the Walk4Hearing sites. To learn more, view the Walk4Hearing movie.
Register for the Walk4Hearing at: www.walk4hearing.org
2016 Walk4Hearing Locations
Since its inception in 2006, more than 70,000 walkers have stepped up, raising more than $10 million. Money raised from the Walk4Hearing is shared between the local Walk sites and the HLAA national organization. Examples of how funds are used include:
National Programs and Services
- Provide timely and reliable information about hearing loss through HLAA’s website, Hearing Loss Magazine, HLAA e-News, the Hearing Loss Support Specialist Training, message boards/chat forums and the HLAA Convention
- Advocacy at the national level to affect legislation that impacts people with hearing loss, whether it’s funding for hearing aids, cochlear implants, communication access in public places or other important issues
- A nationwide network of chapters and state organizations providing peer support
- Support for parents of children with hearing loss
- Outreach to veterans returning with hearing loss
Local Programs and Services
- Captioning and hearing assistive technology at HLAA chapter meetings to make them accessible
- Scholarships toward college tuition for students with hearing loss
- Funding for hearing aids and devices for people who cannot afford them
- Installation of hearing assistive technology in public places, such as community rooms and public libraries
- Captioning of live theater productions
- Seminars on coping with hearing loss for families
The Walk4Hearing is an annual and national event taking place in multiple cities across the nation. So join the thousands AND fun to make your community a better place for people with hearing loss!
Is there no Walk4Hearing event in your area? Interested in starting a Walk4Hearing? Please contact Ronnie Adler, director of the Walk4Hearing.