When: Thursday, November 1, 2023
Time: 2–3 p.m. ET
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) finalized its rule permitting the sale of over-the-counter (OTC) hearing aids directly to consumers over 18 with mild to moderate hearing loss in August 2022. Available since last October, these assistive devices may provide another pathway to care for some adults who could benefit from support with their hearing.
HLAA is presenting the OTC 101: Ask the Experts Webinar Series to provide people with information about this exciting new class of products from fall 2023 through spring 2024. At the first online event on November 1, a panel of experts and audiologists from the FDA will share information and respond to questions. HLAA Executive Director Barbara Kelley will moderate the discussion.
Send questions about over-the-counter hearing aids in advance using the form below. All HLAA webinars are free and live captioned.
Srinivas “Nandu” Nandkumar, Ph.D.
Dr. Nandkumar has worked at the FDA for almost 20 years and currently serves as the director for the division of dental and ENT devices. His background is in electrical engineering with a specialty in digital speech processing.
Julie Cohen, Au.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Cohen is an audiologist and scientific reviewer at the FDA, with more than a decade of hearing science research experience. Her focus areas include over-the-counter hearing aids, cochlear implants, auditory aging and cognition.
Lindsay DeVries, Au.D., Ph.D.
Dr. DeVries joined the FDA in 2020 as an audiology reviewer after earning her Ph.D. in speech and hearing sciences with a research focus on cochlear implants. She was previously a clinical audiologist for an ENT practice.
HLAA Executive Director
HLAA Executive Director Barbara Kelley will moderate the panel. A well-known leader in hearing health, she has been with HLAA for more than 35 years. Kelley has led HLAA’s active role pushing forward OTC hearing aid legislation and other initiatives to increase access, break down stigma and eliminate barriers to hearing loss care and treatment.
Webinar Question Form
- Zoom. The webinar will be held on Zoom. After registering, the Zoom meeting link will be emailed to you. Please save your email and make sure to check your spam or junk folder if you have not received the meeting link.
- Use a computer. If possible, attend the webinar on a computer rather than via a smart phone or iPad. This will give you the best layout to view the captions, as well as other meeting features.
- Install or update Zoom. Make sure you have Zoom installed.
- Captions. All HLAA webinars are free with live captions available.
- Check your time zone. This meeting will take place live at 2 p.m. ET, 1 p.m. CT, Noon MT and 11 a.m. PT. If you are in a different time zone, please adjust the time so you do not miss the meeting.
NOTE: HLAA does not offer Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for participation in our webinars.
Questions? Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.