STEP UP for People with Hearing Loss!
The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) Walk4Hearing is the largest walk for hearing loss awareness in the country. Every spring and fall thousands of walkers – children and their families, young adults, young at heart, professionals, corporations, and everyone in between – form teams and walk in their communities to increase public awareness about hearing loss and raise funds for programs and services. HLAA depends on generous volunteers to raise funds, generate enthusiasm and awareness at each of the Walk4Hearing sites.
Register for the Walk4Hearing at: walk4hearing.org
Meet Our Honorary Walk4Hearing Chair
“The energy and excitement on Walk day is fantastic! The Walk4Hearing brings the local community together to support people with hearing loss, along with their friends and family. CaptionCall is committed to supporting HLAA in their mission to help us all live better with hearing loss. The Walk4Hearing reminds us to take actions that improve our hearing health and the way we communicate.”
– Bruce Peterson, Vice President of Government
and Community Relations for CaptionCall
2019 Walk4Hearing Locations
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin – May 11
- Westchester/Rockland, New York – May 11
- Milford, Michigan – May 18
- Salt Lake City, Utah – May 18 NEW!
- Long Beach, California – June 8
- Littleton, Colorado – June 9
- New Britain, Connecticut – June 9
- Nashville, Tennessee – June 15 NEW!
- New York City, New York – September 22
- Chicago, Illinois – September 28
- Buffalo, New York – September 29
- San Diego, California – September 29
- Houston, Texas – October 5
- Cary, North Carolina – October 13
- West Windsor, New Jersey – October 13
- Washington, DC – October 19
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – October 20
- Brighton, Massachusetts – October 27
- Louisville, Kentucky – November 2
- Mesa, Arizona – November 2
How Are Funds Used?
Since 2006, the Walk4Hearing has welcomed almost 100,000 walkers and 8,300 teams to come together and share their hearing journey. Funds raised through the Walk4Hearing are shared between the local Walk sites and HLAA national.
- Raise public awareness and provide unbiased information about hearing health
- Advocate at the federal level to support policies such as hearing aid compatible and captioned phones, hearing access in public places, and captioning on the internet
- Hold research symposia on relevant hearing loss issues
- Support those on their hearing journey, including parents of children with hearing loss
- Work with industry to ensure that products are accessible to people with hearing loss
- Provide consumer input to research
- Offer resource toolkits for the workplace and in medical settings.
- Provide resources such as captioning and meeting spaces for HLAA Chapters to educate and support their local hearing loss community
- Help fund college tuition scholarships for students with hearing loss
- Financially assist those that cannot afford hearing aids and other devices
- Establish hearing access in public places through the installation of hearing assistive technology
- Hold hearing health seminars sponsored by HLAA Chapters and other community groups.