STEP UP for People with Hearing Loss!
The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) Walk4Hearing is the largest walk for hearing loss awareness in the country. Every spring and fall thousands of walkers – children and their families, young adults, young at heart, professionals, corporations, and everyone in between – form teams and walk in their communities to increase public awareness about hearing loss and raise funds for programs and services. HLAA depends on generous volunteers to raise funds, generate enthusiasm and awareness at each of the Walk4Hearing sites.
Register for the Walk4Hearing at: walk4hearing.org
Meet Our Honorary Walk4Hearing Chair
“CaptionCall is the proud Capital Level sponsor of the HLAA Walk4Hearing. We’re excited about HLAA’s mission to provide local and national programs and services for the hearing loss community. It is important for anyone experiencing hearing loss to take action to have their hearing evaluated by a qualified professional and to take advantage of the available technology, including captioned telephones, to keep socially connected for a longer, happier and healthier life.”
– Bruce Peterson, Vice President of Government and Community Relations for CaptionCall
2020 Walk4Hearing Locations
Join us for the 15th anniversary of the Walk4Hearing!
- Westchester/Rockland, New York – May 2
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin – May 9
- Milford, Michigan – May 16
- Nashville, Tennessee – May 16
- Salt Lake City, Utah – May 16
- Alameda, California – May 30 NEW!
- Long Beach, California – May 31
- Hartford, Connecticut – June 13
- New York City, New York – September 20
- Buffalo, New York – September 26
- Chicago, Illinois – September 26
- Cary, North Carolina – October 11
- West Windsor, New Jersey – October 11
- Washington, DC – October 17
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – October 18
- Brighton, Massachusetts – October 25
- Mesa, Arizona – November 7
- San Diego, California – TBD
- Louisville, Kentucky – TBD
- Houston, Texas – TBD
How Are Funds Used?
Since 2006, the Walk4Hearing has welcomed over 105,000 walkers and 9,600 teams to come together and share their hearing journey. Funds raised through the Walk4Hearing are shared between the local Walk sites and HLAA national.
- Raise public awareness and provide unbiased information about hearing health
- Advocate at the federal level to support policies such as hearing aid compatible and captioned phones, hearing access in public places, and captioning on the internet
- Hold informational seminars about the latest in hearing technologies and services
- Support those on their hearing journey, including parents of children with hearing loss
- Work with industry to ensure that products are accessible to people with hearing loss
- Scholarship opportunities for persons with hearing loss to attend annual HLAA Convention
- Provide consumer input to research
- Offer resource toolkits for the workplace and in medical settings
- Provide resources for schools to help support children with hearing loss
- Help fund college tuition scholarships for students with hearing loss
- Financially assist those that cannot afford hearing aids and other devices
- Establish hearing access in public places through the installation of hearing assistive technology
- Supply captioning services and meeting space for HLAA Chapters and other community groups who provide support and education to the community