The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) opens the world of communication to people with hearing loss through information, education, support and advocacy. With more than 48 million Americans living with hearing loss and these numbers projected to grow rapidly, we work nationally and in local communities to promote hearing health and to provide people with vital assistance and resources.
As a leading national nonprofit, our efforts empower people to act for better hearing and our volunteer network is a vibrant community of support. With more than one hundred local chapters and state organizations across the U.S., HLAA’s chapter network is on the front lines ensuring people with hearing loss and their families have the support they need to live well. Our chapters provide a variety of services, supports and advocacy in hearing-friendly places.
HLAA is seeking a creative, energetic and self-starting Chapter Engagement Manager to support and grow HLAA’s chapter network and administer member initiatives.
The Chapter Engagement Manager is an integral part of the HLAA team. This person will foster relationships and develop and execute an engagement plan that fuels the work of chapters and effectively delivers the mission of HLAA to its members and respective communities.
This position will identify the needs of chapters and develop strategies and resources to equip and help them adapt to reach new audiences. He/she will collaborate with volunteers and with communications, development and policy staff to mobilize the grassroots. The successful candidate will foster an environment that values volunteerism and encourages, promotes and achieves successful engagement.
The position is based in our Rockville, Maryland headquarters.
The Chapter Engagement Manager will:
- Forge relationships and build collaboration among chapters, state organizations and HLAA’s national office.
- Engage an advisory committee of chapter leaders nationally to advise on strategy.
- Understand the strengths and opportunities of chapters and recognize and highlight programming successes and volunteer achievements.
- Facilitate leadership meetings, topical and resources presentations, ensuring chapters are well informed of HLAA’s national agenda and timely issues.
- Keep abreast of trends, innovations and best practices in community-based strategies and introduce creative ways to attract and engage members from a variety of cultures and life experiences. HLAA is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in our organization including chapters and state organizations.
- Nurture and grow a national community of chapter leaders and volunteers, and ensure they are well-informed and appreciated.
- Work in concert with communications staff to ensure consistent message, brand among chapters and provide guidance and toolkits for outreach.
- Develop and present workshops, webinars, website content, other ongoing communication, and a chapter track for the annual HLAA Convention.
- Collaborate with development staff to assist chapters with fundraising and to engage them in Walk4Hearing and other HLAA initiatives.
- Collaborate with public policy staff to align advocacy efforts and garner support for HLAA’s policy agenda.
- Enlist ideas and approaches to help chapters better engage working adults and families addressing hearing loss.
- Create and manage program and project budgets.
- Supervise the chapter coordinator and this position’s role to liaison and support chapter activities and membership.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-7 years of related experience in areas such as communications, fundraising, volunteer engagement or community-building
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to make effective presentations
- Proficient in Microsoft 365 and ability to utilize a HLAA’s relationship management system to track volunteer and member information
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills
- Strong project management skills
- Active listener with ability to take input and create action plans
- Ability to collaborate, motivate and partner successfully with staff, volunteers and supporters
- Knowledge or experience with hearing loss/hearing health a plus.
Status and Benefits
Supervisor: Director of Finance and Operations
Terms of Employment: At Will
Employment Status: Full-Time/Exempt
Location: Rockville, MD (North Bethesda) with some travel required
Benefits: Comprehensive package includes employer-paid health, dental and vision insurance, TIAA 403(b) retirement plan, paid holidays, vacation, sick and flexible work schedule.
Other: HLAA requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, provide attestations regarding vaccination status and/or COVID-19 testing, or satisfy other conditions of employment that HLAA deems appropriate, and employees may be required to show proof of vaccination and/or negative COVID-19 test results as a condition of employment (except in limited circumstances where an employee is legally entitled to an accommodation).
Interested applicants should submit a résumé and cover letter including salary requirements to email@example.com with Chapter Engagement Manager in the subject line.
Applications will not be considered complete without these materials. Viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted and invited to interview.
HLAA values diversity of background and opinion and promotes a professional environment that is accessible and inclusive. HLAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other category protected by law.