Dear HLAA Community,
I want to let you know we are thinking of you and doing everything we can to serve you in this challenging time. As you are, we here at HLAA are concerned about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and find ourselves having to make some changes to our events and activities. Please know that we remain committed to our mission to help people with hearing loss stay engaged through information, education, support and advocacy and to promote the importance of hearing health.
Many of our HLAA Chapters across the country have cancelled their meetings until further notice. This is wise as we are all of one mind that it is best to protect the health of our members, especially with our older members and those with health conditions. Chapters are not required to hold meetings and should follow the recommendations of the CDC and local public health officials.
HLAA Chapters provide support and information in communities so if chapters have the means to meet virtually, this is a great solution. A fine example is our Veterans Across America Virtual Chapter. If you would like to join the veterans virtual chapter, please email Carla Beyer-Smolin at firstname.lastname@example.org. All chapter leaders should reach out to Carla, she is our national chapter coordinator and is here for you.
What’s Happening at the HLAA National Office?
The national office in Bethesda, Maryland is open for business. While my staff and I are working from home, we are just a phone call or email away. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We are using all the virtual tools to keep serving you.
Updated April 3: The HLAA2020 Convention is cancelled. Please read the message from Executive Director Barbara Kelley about the cancellation. We hope that all of those in our HLAA family stay well.
Our 15th anniversary Walk4Hearing events are scheduled to begin in early May. With the continued partnership of our sponsors and alliances, the Walk4Hearing and its goal to provide resources and support for people with hearing loss will go on. Our Spring Walk4Hearing events are going virtual!
Please consider joining us as a walker and get started fundraising and spreading the word online! I am amazed that already 210 registered teams and many walkers are signed up and fundraising. Our HLAA community is strong!
- Check the Newsroom section on HLAA website for the latest information
- How Do I Communicate with Doctors, Nurses, and Staff at the Hospital During COVID-19?
- Communications & Medical Access in the Hospital During Disasters: Temporary Recommendations for Hospitals and Medical Facilities During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Guide for Effective Communication in Health Care
- WEBINAR: What Nelson Mandela and Others Teach Us About Coping with the Coronavirus and Isolation
- 7 Tips to Maintain Hearing Health Care Amid COVID-19
- Your ADA Rights When Required to Work From Home or Attend Classes Online
- Coronavirus and Accessible Medical Settings
- FCC Grants Temporary Waiver of TRS Rules During Coronavirus
- Sign up here for the free, online Hearing Life e-News if you haven’t already. It’s a great resource delivered to your email twice monthly.
Stay healthy and safe, and connected!